Marine Engineering at Southampton
"I found the course interesting, engaging and fun and it gave me a great taste of university life"
Would you like to:
• Discover how to make a structure strong enough to survive the harsh marine environment?
• Carry out experiments in a towing tank to discover what it takes to power a ship?
• Find out what it takes to design a tidal turbine?
......Then this is the course for you!
What’s it all about?
During this course at The University of Southampton, you will learn the basic principles of designing ships, yachts and marine structures in order to understand how the world’s oceans can be exploited to harness environmentally safe energy, all under the guidance of expert staff and students in Ship Science at the School of Engineering.
What will I be doing?
• Get involved with hands on team design and build projects
• Listen to talks, lectures and seminars from graduates in Ship Science, research and the marine industry
• Learn about the wealth of subjects and careers to be gained in the marine world, from designing autonomous robot submarines to marine environmental energy extraction to advanced racing yacht design
• Experience life on campus at the University of Southampton
• Meet current Engineering students
Would this course suit me?
The University of Southampton takes full advantage of its location on the south coast and has a leading department of Ship Science. This course will suit you if you are interested in technical subjects and engineering, with a good background in maths and want to see how they can be applied to the demanding environment of ships and the sea. There is a varied and rewarding range of careers in this field so if you want to consider Ship Science, Marine Engineering or Nautical Science/Engineering for your future then this course could be right for you.
Course code: SMAHS20
Course dates:15.30 on Sunday, 5 July 2020 to 15.00 on Thursday, July 9 2020 (4 nights residential)