List of duties
The dynamic nature of each project means that the successful candidate will be expected to be flexible and adapt to fit the needs of the team, often developing new skills in the process.
Specific activities may include:
- Applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling and materials, as well as discussion with equipment suppliers and operators to evaluate existing manufacturing processes.
- Improvement of manufacturing efficiency by analysing and planning work flow, assessing space requirements and optimising equipment layout.
- Design and implementation of effective continuous improvement activities such as 5S, kaizen, value stream mapping and other lean manufacturing methodologies.
- Working alongside the production staff to drive process improvement and introduce standard operating procedures.
- Development of new manufacturing processes by studying product requirements before researching, designing, modifying, and testing proposed methods and equipment.
- Improve product and process quality by designing testing methods, establishing standards and optimising manufacturing processes.
- Help to produce vital decision-making information by calculating production, labour, and material costs, reviewing production schedules and estimating future requirements.
- Collect, monitor, evaluate and report on production data.
- Present technical results and conclusions both within teams and to key stake holders.
- Participate in meetings and design reviews with team members and customers, communicating ideas and engineering concepts to all disciplines.
Personal Skills and Attributes
As well as having a dedicated attitude and a keen willingness to learn, we require students who are enthusiastic, clear thinking, have initiative and are able to work independently.
You will be an organised, self-motivated individual who exhibits good verbal and written communication skills and applies an innovative and creative approach to problem solving.
Student specification Position and person requirements
- Studying for a degree qualification in manufacturing engineering or related subject.
- Some understanding of continuous improvement activities including 5S, kaizen, value stream mapping and other lean manufacturing methodologies.
- Some experience in aspects such as analysis and optimisation, materials selection, design for manufacture and assembly & prototyping methods.
- Demonstrate delivering technical solutions on time and to specification (through example projects).
When applying for this role, please also send a covering letter that will be sent along with your YINI CV.
To apply for this placement or for more information, please contact Lidia stating your interest, your full name and the vacancy reference.
Please note, you must be fully registered with The YINI scheme to apply.
See the YINI application page to complete an on-line application form if you are not already registered.