Network Rail is seeking three Engineering undergraduates to join their Year in Industry scheme and start with them at the beginning of September 2020.
The company own and operate the railway infrastructure in England, Wales and Scotland on behalf of the nation. The North West & Central route (NW&C) is the ‘backbone of Britain’, representing 24% of Britain’s Railway and comprising of 571 stations and 246.5 million rail passenger journeys annually. In the five years to 2024, passenger demand is set to grow by 12% and freight by 18%. Major railway upgrade schemes to cater for this growth include HS2, East West Rail, Midlands Rail Hub and the Great North Rail Project. The vision is “One team safely delivering excellent services for customers and taxpayers.” NW&C will achieve this vision by embedding a safe, caring workforce culture that welcomes everyone and embraces new ideas and fresh thinking.
Network Rail are working hard to ensure their workforce better represents their customers and society as a whole. Women now represent nearly 25 per cent of both their Board and executive leadership committee. They are also growing gender and ethnicity diversity across the company.
035A, Maintenance North - Liverpool or Sandwell:
Undertake engineering analysis and risk assessments of assets or asset components to support the asset management process. Monitor and evaluate asset condition and capability trend data, and failure precursors to inform examination, maintenance, risk mitigation and renewal plans to efficiently achieve objectives. Office based with some site experiences.
035B, Maintenance South – Rugby:
Undertake engineering analysis across multiple engineering disciplines to drive enhancements in performance improvements by reviewing the process of how we deliver Infrastructure maintenance and component renewal to support the asset management and also the delivery unit’s business requirements. Predominantly office based but with a requirement to understand site information by visiting sites.
Person Profile/Required Qualifications
You should be in your penultimate year at university, studying an Engineering or other appropriate discipline and predicted at least a 2:1. You will need to have strong communication and ICT skills including Excel and have an interest in the rail/ transport sector. Master’s degree students in their 2nd year may also be considered.
NB: Engineering candidate degree qualifications must be accredited by an appropriate professional institution (specifically: ICE, IET/IEE or the IMechE) and be eligible to work in the UK for the duration of the placement year to apply year to apply
EDT is managing these placements on behalf of Network Rail so please do not apply to them directly for these roles. Apply now for the 1st round telephone interviews in Nov/Dec and assessment centres in March 2020 - see below for application link.
Salary and Benefits
£17,000 PA. plus benefits & potential for a conditional offer onto our graduate scheme on successful completion of degree and 'good' or above performance during placement.
Flexitime (for office-based working)
Inhouse training – industry-standard accreditations
- An annual 75 per cent subsidy on train and underground season tickets
- An interest-free travel loan for season tickets for trains and car parks
- 28 days’ annual leave and the opportunity to buy or sell two days per year
- Performance-related pay schemes
- A choice of one of three contributory pension schemes
- The opportunity to donate through various charitable giving schemes, including company contributions
- 5 days of volunteer leave per year
- Lots of training and development opportunities
- Employee benefits scheme such as discounts on shopping/restaurants/ days out
- Cycle to work scheme
- Yearly bonus
- Childcare vouchers
- Validium – free advice for employees on any personal issues
- Various employee groups/networks
- Please note that you will need to be registered with the YINI scheme via our website https://www.etrust.org.uk/yini-register. Following a successful assessment interview for YINI plus a 1st round competency-based telephone interview with the EDT YINI Placement Team in Dec/ Jan you will be required to attend Network Rail Assessment Centres in March of 2020
- Email your interest to Mel Powell on email@example.com stating your full name and the vacancy reference you are interested in.