Placement period: 12 months
Start date: July – September 2020
The successful candidate will be given a fantastic opportunity to work within a team environment under the Lead Software Engineer. You will be working on new projects using knowledge learnt through your studies to aid design and development of the company products, whilst gaining real work experience and skills that will accelerate your future career.
We primarily design, code and deliver embedded software solutions for passenger transportation. Our expertise is in motion control, sensor algorithms, board level communications and safety critical systems; the role you will perform is hands on and involves working with electromechanical devices and machines. You will work closely with all engineering disciplines to ensure a holistic design solution is achieved.
Our Software team contains a wealth of experience and holds knowledge of various languages. We see this as a strength which has aided our solutions to problems and will assist in your learning experience. Historically and primarily we use C code for high end embedded processors, and our coding design and development follows a systems design approach which ensures that we have our input upon everything from aspects of processor and hardware designs choices, through to mechanical drives or mechanisms that we may be required to control.
While our core skill is embedded C and development of safety critical systems, we also make use of other languages, such as Python, C# and C++, which are presently used for supplementary debugging and data capture tools. Whilst at the company you will develop your coding skills to a high level, learn about the software life cycle and help ensure high integrity of our software with the use of coding standards, unit testing and continuous integration. Language and tools do not limit our abilities, but serve to advance our skills and products!
- Demonstrable interest in Software Engineering
- Knowledge of software life cycle
- Experience in using C code for embedded systems
- Knowledge of microcontrollers, sensors, motor control, and communication protocols
- Understanding of electronic systems.
- Competent in the use of test equipment: debuggers, oscilloscopes, and multi-meters
- Competent in the use of PC tools: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- The ability to work as a team member and possess good interpersonal, communication and literacy skills
- Practical prototyping skills are desirable
- To work with efficiency, accuracy and to be able to meet deadlines
- To be able to prioritise workload and work under own initiative
Personal Attributes and Behaviours:
We expect you to be a good communicator and be able to interact with all people equally and effectively. Your academic history will demonstrate you’re a high flyer with an ambition to learn, do well, and achieve your goals.
To apply for this placement or for more information, please contact Maria stating your interest, your full name and the vacancy reference.
Please note, you must be fully registered with The YINI scheme to apply.
See the YINI application page to complete an on-line application form if you are not already registered.