Network Rail is seeking several Civil Engineering undergraduates to join their Year in Industry scheme and start with them at the beginning of September 2020. The company own and operate the railway infrastructure in England, Wales and Scotland on behalf of the nation. That’s 20,000 miles of track, 40,000 bridges and viaducts and thousands of tunnels, signals, level crossings and points. They also manage rail timetabling and 18 of the largest stations in England, Scotland and Wales.
Network Rail work round-the-clock to provide a safe, reliable experience for the millions using Europe’s fastest-growing railway every day. Network Rail is delivering the biggest and most ambitious upgrade the network has ever seen in over 150 years.
Person Profile/Required Qualifications
You should be in your penultimate year studying for an ICE/ICE Scotland accredited Civil Engineering related degree and predicted at least a 2:1. You will need to have strong communication and ICT skills including Excel and have an interest in the rail/ transport sector. Master’s degree students in their 2nd year may also be considered.
EDT is managing these placements on behalf of Network Rail so please do not apply to them directly for these roles. Apply now for the 1st round telephone interviews in Nov/Dec and assessment centres in March 2020 - see below for application link.
Salary and Benefits
£17,000 PA. plus benefits & potential for a conditional offer onto our graduate scheme on successful completion of degree and 'good' or above performance during placement (we know this has happened and it is the main motivator for taking on interns)
Hours 35.5 p/w
Flexitime (for office-based working)
Inhouse training – industry-standard accreditations
- An annual 75 per cent subsidy on train and underground season tickets
- An interest-free travel loan for season tickets for trains and car parks
- 28 days’ annual leave and the opportunity to buy or sell two days per year
- Performance-related pay schemes
- A choice of one of three contributory pension schemes
- The opportunity to donate through various charitable giving schemes, including company contributions
- 5 days of volunteer leave per year
- Lots of training and development opportunities
- Employee benefits scheme such as discounts on shopping /restaurants/days out
- Cycle to work scheme
- Yearly bonus
- Childcare vouchers
- Validium – free advice for employees on any personal issues
- Various employee groups/networks
Charlotte Prommel - Civil Engineering 2018/19
“Network Rail provided me with a year’s worth of work experience in which I received several opportunities to go on site and was able to learn from civil engineers first hand. I gained invaluable experience and a great insight into my future career. I have been asked back for the graduate scheme. I would highly recommend this experience and Network Rail to anyone wanting a year in industry.”
Charlotte has accepted her graduate offer with Network Rail
Rahees Ramzan – Civil Engineering 2018/19
"With assistance from EDT Placements and the collaboration of my EDT mentor and Network Rail line manager, my placement was a success in regards to daily tasks and future prospects. The guidance I received was reliable and wholesome and has successfully help me to secure a place on the NR graduate programme"
Fergus Aspinall - Civil Engineering 2018/19
"I have benefitted exponentially from my placement at Network Rail. The experience has opened my eyes to a new area of the industry that I had not previously considered. I was welcomed into their working environment and quickly became a part of the team, developing relationships with colleagues who treated me with the same respect as a full-time employee. I was given a degree of freedom in the way in which I completed tasks, which helped bring out the best in my work."
Fergus has also accepted an offer for a graduate role
- Please note that you will need to be registered with the YINI scheme via our website https://www.etrust.org.uk/yini-register. Following a successful assessment interview for YINI plus a 1st round competency-based telephone interview with the EDT YINI Placement Team in November/December you will be required to attend Network Rail Assessment Centres in March of 2020
- Email your interest to Mel Powell on email@example.com stating your full name and the vacancy reference you are interested in.