Start Date: August 2024 - 1 year
Discipline: Product design/engineering
Reports to: Project manager
Interviews in: May/June 24
T&C: 38 hours p/w early finish Friday; 22 days holiday (pro rata)
The Company is a high-tech company developing and manufacturing next-generation metal Additive Manufacturing (3D printing) machine. We use a high-powered electron beam to melt fine metallic powder in layers to manufacture complex organic shapes for high-value industries such as medical and aerospace.
We have a skilled team of 23 experienced engineers and physicists in fields such as high vacuum engineering, high voltage, particle physics, 3D software, high-speed electronics, etc… Your role would be to provide engineering support to these teams.
The company has taken on several YinI industry students in the past and understands how to make sure you get the best out of your placement while providing real input to engineering challenges.
MAIN PLACEMENT PURPOSE:
We are looking for a student to support the design and development of a new high-tech machine, incorporating multiple technological innovations. The company is an innovative start-up, with ambitious goals to grow the business as it launches its first product to market. As well as working in this fast-paced high-tech environment, the role will offer a mix of everyday activities with design, testing and project management.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (Description of Post):
We are looking for a YINI student to support a design and test project, including working with external research organisations. This role will include some everyday tasks but a large amount of time will be spent on product design, running tests, analysing results, changing the design – an iterative design process.
You will have the opportunity for all of the following, depending on the stage of the project:
- 2D/3D drawing using CAD
- Carrying out design calculations
- Analysing data and feeding back results to the rest of the team
- Designing custom and bespoke machinery
- Concept designs for customers
- Attend design and review meetings
- Practical testing of designs
- Technical report writing
- Assisting the project manager with progress reporting
- Works as an integral part of the design project team
KEY COMPETENCIES (desirable)
- Your attitude is more important than your intended degree. You will be able to use your own initiative and show you are a self-starter with good communication skills.
- Good predicted A-Levels or equivalent in Maths and Physics are a requisite.
- You will have a keen interest in design, be analytical and logical in your approach to tasks and attention to detail is very important.
- Having your own car would be an advantage, but not essential.
“I had a fantastic time during my Year in Industry - they were all super friendly and gave me some fantastic experience and lasting memories. I was asked to do many exciting hands on projects and given help when needed, allowing me to feel like I made a big difference to the company and see the results of my work whilst I was there. Visiting them again a few years later, it was a delight to see some of my designs still being used, and I’d highly recommend this company to anyone considering a Year in Industry.”
To apply for this role, please email Jessica at EDTPlacements@etrust.org.uk, stating the vacancy reference.