CANDIDATES MUST BE BRITISH ONLY, ABLE TO OBTAIN SC SECURITY CLEARANCE AND HAVE PERMANENT RESIDENCY IN THE UK FOR A MINIMUM OF AT LEAST THE PAST 5 YEARS
Location - Luton
Disciplines - STEM related disciplines
Start Date - Sept 2024
Salary - TBC
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
The company is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection, and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are a continually expanding company, offering exciting opportunities to talented individuals who want to work at the forefront of technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
The company’s Year-in-Industry Programme offers you a paid placement to develop your knowledge and skills in our innovative and practical environment. In addition to working with our highly skilled engineers and business professionals, successful completion of a Year-In-Industry Placement can often lead to an offer for subsequent summer placements, or a permanent graduate position and securing your place on our industry leading Graduate Development Programme.
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE:
We offer a range of exciting Year-in-Industry placement opportunities across various technical functions. The company relies on having the very best employees to maintain its competitive edge and has some of the industry’s most sophisticated technology at its fingertips. Undertaking a placement with this company can provide invaluable support to your current studies: you will not only be working for a company at the cutting-edge of technology, you will also be enhancing your skills and business acumen, and opening up your horizons to the diverse and dynamic ways in which your degree could be used in the future.
Year-in-Industry placement students will be involved in a variety of tasks in one of the following engineering disciplines – Systems, Software, Hardware, Firmware, Microwave or Antenna Engineering.
Placement students have the opportunity to be involved in one or more phases of the engineering lifecycle to create and deliver new and emerging capabilities required by our customers: from the development of architectures and concept designs for the next generation of EW capability, through to live trials of equipment and systems alongside our customers and end-users. Providing support to real projects, placement students will be required to apply knowledge gained while studying in a practical way. Placement students will undertake activities including designing, testing, qualifying and supporting technology across our range of products. The challenging tasks will involve communicating with other team members to gain information before completing objectives and examining outcomes.
The placements will be based at Capability Green, Luton, home to the Electronic Warfare and Major Air Programme Lines of Business.
Working as part of an established engineering community, and supported by a team of experienced engineers, you will responsible for:
- Delivering small packages of work to time, cost and quality.
- Working within a team to achieve project targets, collaborate across multiple disciplines and solve problems.
- Communicating with team members to share knowledge.
- Gaining an understanding of the EW domain to support the development of relevant products and technologies.
- Completing tasks to a high standard in accordance with appropriate processes and procedures.
- Using the opportunity to develop engineering skills. A supervisor will be available to provide mentoring whilst working as a fully integrated member of the team.
- Good communication skills are essential, both written and verbal
- Ability to solve technical problems
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) related degree (or A-Level subjects for Pre-University Applicants)
- Computer literacy and the ability to use the MS Office suite of tools
- MATLAB/Simulink experience beneficial
- Aptitude and interest in engineering and/or science