Rolls-Royce is a global business providing power systems for use on land, at sea and in the air. The Group has a balanced business portfolio with leading positions in the civil and defence aerospace, marine and energy markets. We invest in technology and capabilities that can be applied to products and services in each of the global markets we serve.
This is an opportunity for a placement in CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) Methods, Physical Sciences, Engineering Capability. Engineering Capability sits under Central Engineering and has corporate responsibility for developing methods and software for structural integrity assessments of components, contributing to the next generation of design tools for Rolls-Royce products.
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE:
The CFD Methods team develop, support and maintain software for aerothermal and aeromechanical modelling for our products across all sectors of our business. We also provide consultancy support for the analysis design teams in our global business. We work with a range of bespoke and commercial software systems to create complex models for a range of applications.
The work will be technically challenging and will provide an opportunity to apply CFD software to the analysis of gas turbine engines. The project will give the opportunity to support a technical analysis programme and to help the CFD team develop a better and more robust software system to our design teams.
This is an opportunity to work with cutting edge technology and to experience how numerical simulations are used as a powerful tool within the aerospace industry.
The successful applicants will be supported by an individual mentor from the CFD Methods team who will provide technical input and direction to the particular project being performed. Training will be provided to familiarise them with the software systems they will be using and to develop their technical knowledge. The mentor will also provide on the job technical training throughout the placement year.
- We are looking for a high-calibre Undergraduate studying Aeronautical Engineering or related Aerospace discipline. The successful applicant will have a strong interest in numerical analysis and be able to demonstrate strong mathematical skills. A good awareness of CFD and some working experience in using CFD software will be an advantage.
- MEng preferred with predicted classification of 2:1 or above, high grades in A level or A level equivalent Maths and Physics
- The candidates will need to have the ability to work both individually and as part of a global team. Candidates will need to demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills and be able to present their work clearly and concisely at formal technical meetings.
- Experience of using Windows and Linux computer operating systems will be required.
- Offers are subject to candidates passing Security Vetting to Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS).
To apply or for more information, contact Mel Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org stating your full name, the vacancy reference and your YINI registration number if you have it. Please note that you will need to regsiter with the Year in Industry Scheme to be considered. Please do not delay your YINI application as first interviews are by invitation only at the YINI Recruitment Event on the 7th of Feb 2018 in Derby and late applications may not make it to the final candidate selection.