With more students entering higher education than ever, leaving university with a good degree no longer guarantees the graduate job you want. Even if you’re not exactly sure what you want to do after your degree, a Year in Industry will earn you respect and give your CV the competitive edge. 97% of students who have undertaken a Year in Industry feel they are more employable, as it adds massive value to a CV as well as greatly increasing confidence and maturity levels. You will be paid a wage, and will be expected to undertake a challenging job, which will both be stretching and relevant for your future studies and career path.
We help post A-Level/Higher/Advanced Higher and undergraduate students find the best UK work placements in all areas of engineering, science, IT, e-commerce, business, marketing, finance, logistics and more.
You will receive full support from The Year in Industry through a year-long mentoring service at your company, including on-site visits from the YINI team.
Around a quarter of all our students are sponsored through university each year and many of our 300 partner companies see The Year in Industry as an important part of their graduate recruitment programme.
Who is it for?
This will be a 9-12 month work placement for A-Level/Higher/Advanced Higher and undergraduate students in the UK.
What will I be doing during my work experience?
For the duration of 9-12 months, you will work on projects that will enable you to gain valuable work experience that employers are looking for. You will receive full support from The Year in Industry through a year-long mentoring service at the company, including on-site visits from the YINI team.
As part of the YINI student placement scheme, we are delighted to offer a new Master Class Workshop initiative from September 2017.
The Master Class Workshops will provide you with the chance to develop your skills across 3 main areas:
- Work Ready (such as Presentation skills, CV & Interview Workshops and Leadership & Management)
- Technical Skills (such as Introduction to Composites, Product Design and Intellectual Property)
- Sector Awareness (such as the Energy, Rail or Offshore Sectors)
The Workshops are delivered by experienced professionals who are keen to share their knowledge & experience with the next generation of engineers, scientists & business leaders.
Workshops will be located in various locations around the UK.
- Get high quality work experience, even if you want to keep your options open.
- Gain skills that demonstrate competencies on your CV.
- Be set up with valuable contacts and opportunities for the future.
- Gain experience in a top UK company.
- Get the opportunity to obtain company sponsorship.
- Gain awareness of the available career opportunities.
- Earn a competitive salary.
- Opportunity to gain Platinum Level accreditation through the Industrial Cadet (IC) programme.
How it works
- Student submits application to YINI via web site.
- Student interviewed by EDT prior to full acceptance on the scheme.
- Companies approach us outlining the kinds of roles they have / students they are looking for.
- EDT Placements team will search the registered students’ database to find suitable matches for companies and forward relevant CV’s to the company. In some cases we will contact universities / schools for specific candidates.
- The Company will identify which students they would like to interview and when.
- The EDT will deal with the administration arrangements informing the student.
- The company will interview the student and decide whether they want to offer a placement to the student. If they do the EDT will relay the offer to the Student.
- The EDT will assign a mentor to the student / company.
- Upon the student starting the EDT will invoice for the placement fee.
How much does it cost?
YINI is free for students. We receive funding from the companies we work with.
How to get involved
Apply online here. Once you have registered we will contact you to discuss the next stage of the application process.
Hear from a few of our students
Evie Raynes' video about her placement with L'Oréal Young Scientist Centre at the Royal Institution:
Lucy Bennett's YINI experience at Springboard:
Gabi's YINI experience at Scottish Power Renewables, London:
Katya's placement at Springboard:
Louise's 11 month YINI placement in the Baylab, Reading: