Information for Parents and Teachers
A gap year or sandwich year before or during a degree is the ideal time-out for young people to get work experience and get ahead.
A 2005 survey of Year in Industry (YINI) students and their teachers found that 70% of YINI students go on to get a first or upper second degree with 95% of teachers agreeing that work experience improves a student's employability after graduation.
Here are just some of the ways students can fast-track their careers with a work placement from The Year in Industry:
· try-out a career with top UK companies
· be set up with contacts and opportunities for the future
· get high-quality work experience – even if they want to keep their options open
Cash to help through uni:
· around 25% of students are sponsored through university
· earn a competitive salary to help pay for university
· set up a well-paid job for the holidays
· learn to manage their work and make the most out of university
· earn respect, gain confidence and show their independence
How it works
Students work within a company team on an individual project they are responsible for, with recognition for what they achieve helping them become mature young adults.
They receive full support from The Year in Industry through a year-long mentoring service at the company, including on-site visits from the YINI team.
As part of the YINI student placement scheme, we are delighted to offer a new Master Class Workshop initiative from September 2017.
The Master Class Workshops will provide our students with the chance to develop their skills across 3 main areas:
- Soft skills (such as Presentation skills, CV & Interview Workshops and Leadership & Management)
- Technical Skills (such as Introduction to Composites, Product Design and Intellectual Property)
- Sector overviews (such as the Energy, Rail or Offshore Sectors)
The Workshops are delivered by experienced professionals who are keen to share their knowledge & experience with the next generation of engineers, scientists & business leaders.
Workshops will be located in various locations around the UK.
Have a look at our case studies for examples of student projects. If you would like us to visit your school, college or university to introduce The Year in Industry scheme to your students please fill in our enquiries form.