First Edition is accredited by the Industrial Cadets framework at Challenger level. Industrial Cadets is a national standard for workplace experiences, inspired by HRH The Prince of Wales – to ensure that young people develop skills by taking part in these accredited experiences. For more information visit the Industrial Cadets website.
First Edition provides your young learners (aged 9 – 16 years) with exciting and enriching hands-on activity days within the school/college environment. Run by the Engineering Development Trust, the day-long workshops will give your students engaging, memorable experiences and show how careers in science, technology, engineering and maths can be wide-ranging and rewarding. From coding to racing cars, our specially-designed, curriculum-linked activities cover a range of areas designed to inspire students of all ages, and can be tailored to all abilities. We can work with you to decide which challenges would best suit your young learners, and deliver these on the day.
Benefits to schools
Throughout 2016/17 we ran 360 First Edition programmes in schools and colleges across the UK, reaching just over 25,000 young people. Research with participants shows that 99% of teachers felt the day was relevant and beneficial to students and 92% of students found the experience inspirational.
- First Edition will give you a full day of STEM enrichment activities for up to 120 students
- Enhances the curriculum
- Provides a quality, interactive learning experience through stimulating hands-on activities
- Provide students with information about STEM careers and study routes
- Engages and inspires students to shape their own future choices
- Assist the Personal, Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS) of the students, by encouraging teamwork, creativity, problem solving, time management, and innovation
What is the process?
- Schools enquire about booking with the First Edition team via email to email@example.com or via the online form - http://www.etrust.org.uk/event-system/event-forms
- A member of the First Edition team will contact the teacher to discuss requirements
- The First Edition team will liaise with the school to confirm a programme for the students to take part in
- The First Edition Education Officers will deliver to the workshop in school. Teachers are required to support the day.
How much does it cost for schools?
First Edition event will cost as little as £600 for a full day of activities for up to 120 students. This includes one of our expert Education Officers delivering the workshop and all materials and resources. If you would like an event to suit more than 120 students, please contact us to discuss delivery options.
First Edition and Pupil Premium Funding
Evidence in recent Ofsted reports suggests they view learning outside the classroom as a successful tool for narrowing the achievement gap, supporting the purpose of the Pupil Premium fund. Pupil Premium funding can be used to ensure that pupils are well prepared for the next stage of their education, training and/or employment and to enable more pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds to get to the top Universities. Increasing number of schools we work in partnership with are using their Pupil Premium funding to give their pupils access to our inspirational STEM experiences.