The scheme provides students with an in-depth experience in science, engineering and technology that will enable them to make an informed decision about their future studies and career.
This will be achieved by giving the students, in a 6 month programme;
- Hands-on work experience as part of a team
- Experience of problem solving, working on a project that is relevant to a local company
- Use of a university’s engineering workshops to develop, build and test solutions to the problem
- Professional skills lectures on Communications (written, verbal and visual) and Project Management
- The opportunity to develop technical skills and see school physics, chemistry, technology etc applied in an industrial environment
- An opportunity to meet professional and graduate engineers, scientists and technologists
- Experience in presenting their solution, in a formal verbal presentation and formal written technical report, to a panel of senior professional engineers
Students will also get the opportunity to compete for a British Association (BA) CREST Award.
During their six-month project phase, students are encouraged to show industrial enterprise, creativity and innovation whilst gaining extensive experience of problem-solving, team-working and project management. All key Key life skills are developed within the context of the world of work.
Personal development education realised through work related learning is at the core of this high quality educational enrichment scheme.
The EES can bring multiple benefits to companies from cost effective project solutions (many EES teams have saved companies tens and even hundreds of thousands of pounds) to the opportunity for high quality professional development of the organisation’s engineers and scientists.
The Scheme improves industrial and higher education links and can provide early access to high ability, potential graduate recruits.
- Annually between 1300-1400 students participate in the Scheme (30% women)
- 89% of students go on to read engineering or associated science/IT/technical degrees
- 98% of teachers considered the scheme relevant to education’s needs
- 97% of participating engineers considered the scheme to be relevant to their company’s needs
For more information about the British Science Association (BSA) CREST Award please visit the BSA website - http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/web/ccaf/CREST/